Sunday 11 December 2011

Flatmates

One of the joys and pains of being a student is that you sometimes have to share living space with people you don't know. This year I moved back into halls of residence and I am currently sharing a flat with five other girls, only one of whom I knew previously.
Now if you can imagine what six friends might be like living together, then you might be able to figure out that this arrangement isn't exactly ideal. Unfortunately when six of us that knew each other applied last year, only two of us got in. *Shakes fist at accommodation services*

At first things seemed to be going well. One girl is barely here and there others were all friends and flatmates last year. However, over time cracks began to appear and the small things become incredibly annoying. For example, two of the girl let's call them N and I, NEVER remember their keys. This means that at any random time of the day, when you're in the middle of cooking, just getting out of the shower, etc., the doorbell could go and will continue to go until someone lets N or I in. Why can't you just remember your keys like the rest of us?!

See, last year it was just me and R and this worked perfectly. She had her routine and I had mine and we kind of just fitted into each others lives without too much disruption. Now, the nocturnal flatmates wake me up at night and then moan when I do anything remotely noisy (one example when I was asked not to hoover before midday!) during the daytime. Essentially all this is just telling me that unless R and I can find somewhere to live together next year, I will be better off living alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment