Monday 12 December 2011

Theology

I was going to write this post on the current modules I am taking. However, I thought I would give some background as to why I made this bizarre degree choice. 
You won't be expecting the next bit:

I was raised an Atheist. I know, strange right? But indeed I was and I went to what could only be described as an unreligious school, with very few students with faith attending it. In fact, as I normally tell people somewhat jokingly, I had never met a Christian before I came to St. Andrews. The extent to which this is true, I am not sure. I can only tell you that frankly it was the thing furthest from mine, or any of my friends minds while we were growing up. 

Now the place I grew up in has a bit of a reputation. Maybe I won't out it and myself just yet but I'll simply describe our stereotype and leave you wondering. Alcohol, promiscuity and plotting ways to break free of our nightmare-ish school was how students spent their days. Lessons were always on the brink of disruption and whether the teachers ever completed their lesson plans...I would highly doubt it. Even those of us who spent some of our time focusing on school work had a year rejecting any kind of education in place of cigarettes and cheeky mannerisms. Unfortunately, being 'middle of the road' there was never much concern about what you were up to and whether or not you could get that A grade if you were given a bit more support. The lesson-destroyers and A* students received saint-like attention whilst everyone was kind of just left to get on with it. 

Perhaps I am over-exaggerating. It is possible since I left school nearly six years ago now. However, I believe that school should be a place that encourages all of its students to reach their absolute potential and does not accept the loss of an A grade for a B. I know I would have got an A in English Literature (and not just in English Language) if we had been put into appropriate sets for English. But no, they saw that if those less able (they weren't they just couldn't be bothered) were given examples by the brightest students, the grades of the school might improve. I wonder how many of those in my class managed a C?

**The majority of people in my year received a C grade, but 44 students received less then that**

Not acceptable in my opinion. In the same way I narrowly missed my A, some students narrowly missed their C and probably messed up their chances for further education and job opportunities. 

Oh, wait. I realise I have got completely distracted from my original topic. Don't worry, the next bit is the most exciting but it will be quick.

So I left school at 16, with better then average grades for my school. I went to college in Cambridge and studied Health and Social Care with the hope of eventually doing Psychology at University and becoming a Child Psychologist. 
No one thought I could get into St. Andrews. Not me, not my parents. Maybe bar one person. He believed in me from the very beginning and it is undoubtedly because of him that I made it this far. I don't think he'll ever realise the impact he had on my life, but I hope that he has continued to have this impact on everyone he meets. 
But I did get in. I got the chance to come and study at the most beautiful place I have ever been in this world and WOW, did my life change. 

Firstly, I met R and I think we both agree that God brought us together. Without her chatting about Theology, without her teaching me about what Christianity actually meant and most importantly never attempting to take me to Church or convert me, I would have remained unhappily studying Psychology. So in second semester of my first year, I took a module called 'Church History: Ritual and Politics'. 

What happened next:
Loved the module.
God waved at me but I ignored him for a bit
Finally I started going to Church and had my complete metanoia moment when I took an ecumenical communion in September 2009. 

I am proud of myself. I know it's a weird thing to say, but if you knew me before you would understand. I was so closed minded that I was rude and obnoxious to anyone who had a spiritual faith. This part of me has been extinguished by God's light and everyday I thank Him for bringing me to this beautiful town and giving me such fantastic friends. 

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that you're a convert to Christianity. God bless and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete